Home > Travel and Adventure > Travel Concessions for Over 60s

Travel Concessions for Over 60s

By: Chris Nickson - Updated: 23 Oct 2020 | comments*Discuss
Senior Travel Concession Discount Half

There are many types of concessions for seniors wishing to travel, locally, nationally and internationally. They make journeys quite cheap and feasible, even long ones, and they're available on almost every type of transport.


The situation with local bus travel varies from authority to authority, with no national standard. However, most people over the age of 60 are eligible for a card offering half-fare or even free travel on local buses. Check with your local bus company. Many also offer National Transport Tokens as an alternative to bus passes. Unlike bus passes, these tokens (in 20p, 50p, and £1 coins) are usable at any time for payment of fares on many different types of public transport service approved by your Council. 2000 local authorities nationwide now accept National Transport Tokens on public transport services.

London residents can qualify for a Freedom Pass if over the age of 60 or with an eligible disability. The freedom pass enables you to travel free on London's public transport which includes: buses, Tube, trains, Docklands Light Railway and trams.

For those who travel nationally by coach, National Express offers fare reductions of up to 50% for those 60 and over. These are available on normal adult fare journeys at any day of the week except Fridays. However, during July and August, both Fridays and Saturdays are exempt from the half-price offer. On those days, you automatically qualify for a discounted fare of up to 30% off (the level of discount is dependent on the route used). These reductions are all dependent on you booking in advance; if you buy a ticket on the day of travel, you qualify for a discounted fare of up to 30%.


Those over 60 are eligible for a Senior Railcard. This costs £26 for a year, or £65 for three years, and saves you one-third on all tickets. That means if you take several rail journeys over the course of a year, you can save money. However, you should also be aware that many rail companies offer special fares at different times of the year, dependent on when in the day you travel. You need to check the individual rail company's web site to be aware of the offers available, as they can make travel a very cheap proposition.


A number of ferry companies offer reduced rates for those over state retirement age, others for those over 60. Scotland in particular is excellent with senior ferry discounts, and for those planning a holiday there, the Freedom of Scotland Travelpass offers a very good deal. A fixed price lets you travel around the country by train, coach or ferry with few limitations, and a 33% discount on the pass for seniors.


Airline discounts for seniors often go unadvertised. However, several do offer them. In some instances you have to be 60, in others 65, to qualify, and they can extend to include a travelling companion on the same flight. In this instance, your best bet is to consult your travel agent, who will have details. Be advised, though, that this is mostly for international travel. If you're flying within the U.S. you'll find that many airlines offer senior discounts. However, for internal U.K. flights they seem very difficult to discover.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I'm am on my pension I'm 67 years old and can i get a train ticket for a year
Weebilly1 - 12-Sep-20 @ 2:24 PM
I am 71 semi retired very active would like to meet women companions about 60s-70s for travel home and abroad I live in Waltham Forest east London
Betty - 15-Jul-20 @ 3:14 PM
I’m 64, and have just moved to a village outside Cambridge. Do I qualify for discounted bus travel in Cambridge?
Graeme - 3-Sep-19 @ 11:34 PM
Hi can anyone advise me if there is a pan european dicount rail ticket for seniors like the old railpass for students. My wife and I would like to spend a couple of weeks railing around Germany/Austria/Check Republic and Slovenia in the Autumn. Any info would be most welcome. Thanks
Liam - 11-Jun-19 @ 5:54 PM
Jim - Your Question:
I have Freedom Pass- I wish to go to Brighton- lowest cost- what details please-travelling from West London- weekday or weekend. I dont know who to register on line.

Our Response:
We don't know specific details but you can travel off peak by bus using your Freedom pass. Here is the London Council's Freedom Pass bus information page which we hope will help.
RetirementExpert - 27-Jun-18 @ 11:13 AM
I have Freedom Pass-I wish to go to Brighton- lowest cost-what details please-travelling from West London- weekday or weekend... I dont know who to register on line...
Jim - 26-Jun-18 @ 12:25 PM
Steve - Your Question:
I'm 61/62 in November? I was told from Brighton Bus Cumpeny That I was not intitald to One? I now see that I am, A 1/3 off! So how do I go about it?

Our Response:
Sorry we're not sure what your question is. If you are 62 in November you will be entitled to a bus pass when you are 66.
RetirementExpert - 16-Jun-17 @ 10:32 AM
I'm 61/62 in November? I was told from Brighton Bus Cumpeny That I was not intitald to One? I nowsee that I am, A 1/3 off! So how do I go about it?
Steve - 13-Jun-17 @ 3:22 PM
Can you please e-mail me the phone number of purchasing an over 60"s travel discount for £65.00 for 3 years,thank you,Graham Kendall
scoffer - 28-Apr-16 @ 3:29 PM
@Caz Jacob. You can purchase a Carte Senior in France, which gives concessions for rail travel.
RetirementExpert - 8-Dec-14 @ 2:41 PM
I am moving to france in the new year. I have a freedom card here. Will i get some sort of consession there. We are moving to charente-maritime. And although i can drive i like using buses. Caz jacob
Caz Jacob - 7-Dec-14 @ 11:23 AM
This page is well out of date. National Transport Tokens are a thing of the past and the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme and similar arrangements in Wales and Scotland mean that there ARE standard national schemes. Also the railcard prices are out of date too.
matlockman - 10-Sep-13 @ 6:54 PM
I have retired to France, am over 65, and would like to know if travel concessions exist for ex-pats on French trains. Thank you.
Ginny - 15-Aug-12 @ 9:16 PM
Just read article about CGtax on 2nd homes prompting me to seek advice: I have sole ownership of my mother's Edinburgh flat since she died in 2000 & I travel to use & look after this flat from London where I also have a flat that I have owned since the 70's. Should I be nominating the Edinburgh flat as my main residence if I want to sell it in the next few years? At the moment I'm thinking of letting part of it as the bills are steadily increasing. Any advice please??
Lin - 11-Oct-11 @ 10:10 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments